Highways England Company Limited (formerly the Highways Agency) is a government-owned company that’s responsible for the country’s roads – specifically with operating, maintaining and improving England’s motorways and major A roads.
Bulk Earthworks, Civils, Highways, Reinforced Concrete Structures, Drainage & Services, Hard Landscaping
The Northern Highways Depot project involved a new facility development for Highways England (Formerly The Highways Agency). The new depot is located in Sandy, Bedfordshire, and the project was a green-field site, requiring a new access road to the main depot area.
- The main road works comprised of:
- Bulk Earthworks – earthworks involving the reduced level excavation across the site, with over 15,000m3 of excavated materials disposed of offsite.
- Road Construction – the main access road was constructed in accordance with Highways England’s Design Manual for Roads & Bridges (DMRB), with each stage inspected and passed by the relevant bodies.
- Drainage and Services – drainage and services, including street lighting, were added.
- Path Construction – further works were delivered to add access pedestrian footpaths and crossings to the depot site.
- The main depot works comprised of:
- Concrete Slabs – 6,000m2 of Reinforced Concrete Slabs were used for HGV access, loading and unloading during the servicing of the surrounding roads and motorways.
- SuDS Permeable Car Park – 7,000m2 of Sustainable Drainage System (SuDS) designed permeable car parking was created. Using the SuDS approach allowed us to control the water run-off to the surrounding high-level flood plain.
- Building Construction – we built substructures for the depot’s on-site offices and maintenance buildings.
- Drainage and Services – drainage and services work was completed that included large attenuation tanks, petrol interceptors and flood balancing tanks.